In Western Massachusetts, businesses are in the center of the Northeast's major markets while operating at lower costs, utilizing one of the nation's leading workforces and enjoying a more affordable, higher standard of living in any of our urban, suburban, rural or college town settings.
Western Massachusetts Utility Companies
- Eversource - Western MA - A main distributor of electricity in Western Massachusetts serving more than 200,000 customers. (A Northeast Utilities Company)
- Bay State Gas Company- One of the largest natural gas utilities in New England, serving more than 300,000 customers in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine.
- Massachusetts Electric Company- Serves a total of 1.2 million customers in 168 Massachusetts communities and is an electricity distribution subsidiary of National Grid.
- Chicopee Electric Light Company- The municipal electric service provider for the City of Chicopee.
- Westfield Gas and Electric- The city of Westfield's provider of both gas and electricity.
- Holyoke Gas and Electric- A municipally-owned utility provider of electricity, natural gas, district steam, and fiber optic internet services to over 18,000 customers.
- Broadband infrastructure is available in most areas
- The Springfield Technical Community College Technology Park boasts state-of-the-art fiber optic telecommunications infrastructure for voice lines, high-speed data and Internet access. One of the least expensive locations for a business to send and receive high-speed data transmissions in New England, the business park is also connected to the fiber-optic cables laid alongside the region's interstate highways.
- Springfield is a major switch hub of the Northeast and the home of switching centers for several major long distance telephone carriers. These centers are interconnected by a fiber optic cable network for increased telecommunications capability and bandwidth capacity.
- The region benefits from low cost, redundancy and route diversity because of Springfield's location in the crossroads of all national and international fiber optic backbones serving the Northeast with points of presence for AT&T, MCI WorldCom, Sprint, and Frontier.